Resistance training affects your diet
Resistance training is an exercise that results in the contraction of your muscles in a way that will help increase your strength and/or improve your muscle tone/mass. In other words, it is any form of weight lifting that leads to a change in your muscles. This can mean exercises involving dumbbells, tubing, weight machines, or body weight.
Engaging in these activities causes tears in the muscles you are working. When your body repairs these tears (and every time it does so) it adds an extra protective layer to the already existent muscle. This then increases your muscle size, tone and or strength.
Why resistance training?
- On average, after the age of thirty, we lose five pounds of muscle a decade. Our bodies are weakened gradually and our metabolisms slow down. One way to slow down or greatly minimize both of these is to engage in resistance training. RT allows your body to maintain more muscle tone than it ordinarily would as you get older.
- Resistance training exercises help to build bone mass. As we get older, this becomes increasingly important for the prevention of injury and/or the development of bone disease. Building bone mass means having stronger bones that can better support your body and the lean mass that you put on.
- Most importantly, resistance training leads to the speeding up of your metabolism. Engage in resistance training and you will increase the proportion of muscle to fat in your body. Not only will you look better and feel stronger, but you will also be burning more at rest than you did when you were less muscular. This an important key to weight loss, and will greatly help you on your weight loss journey.
Why it helps
In the past, the dominant philosophy regarding weight loss looked to diet and cardio as keys to success. Today, research has introduced resistance training as another important (if not more important) key to weight loss success.
- Research shows that resistance training is more effective at burning calories, both minute-by-minute and after a workout than is cardio/aerobic exercise.
- In combination with eating well and engaging in cardio/aerobic exercise, resistance training will get you faster weight loss results.
- Pound for pound, muscles burn more calories than does fat. Build up your muscle and your body will burn more throughout the day. This leads to faster weight loss and the advantage of being able to eat more in a given day once youve reached your target weight.
- Resistance training helps keep your body from shedding muscle as you lose weight. Generally speaking, the lighter you become, the less muscle your body assumes it needs. (and the greater change in your lean mass:body fat proportion.)
- When you engage in RT, you keep your muscles working. Because you are using them, your body decides that it needs to preserve your muscles. Instead of targeting muscle cells to compensate for your increased calorie burn and decreased caloric intake (working out and eating less), it will burn off your fat.
- This way, you shed the extra fat weight but end up with a higher percentage of lean mass as compared to body fat. This means a more efficient metabolism and a healthier, better-looking body.
What To Do
- Fitness professionals recommend engaging in resistance training two to three times a week.
- They also suggest giving your body a day to rest between resistance training workouts. In other words, do not work out the same set of muscles two days in a row. (For example: Work out your shoulders and biceps one day and your triceps and chest the next).
[/et_pb_text][/et_pb_column][/et_pb_row][et_pb_row _builder_version=”3.24.1″][et_pb_column type=”1_2″ _builder_version=”3.24.1″][et_pb_image src=”https://floridaaesthetics.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/training-828760_640.jpg” admin_label=”Leg Press image” _builder_version=”3.24.1″][/et_pb_image][/et_pb_column][et_pb_column type=”1_2″ _builder_version=”3.24.1″][et_pb_text admin_label=”Types of exercise text” _builder_version=”3.24.1″]
Type Of Exercise
- Bicep curls
- Tricep dipss
- Push ups
- Pull ups
- Chest press
- Bent-over row
- Knee extension
- Leg Press
- Use of weight machines at the gym
Always remember to stretch before and after your workout. For more information on resistance training exercises, talk to your weight loss coach at Florida Aesthetics![/et_pb_text][/et_pb_column][/et_pb_row][et_pb_row _builder_version=”3.24.1″][et_pb_column type=”4_4″ _builder_version=”3.24.1″][et_pb_text admin_label=”Main Text 2″ _builder_version=”3.24.1″]
- The more calories you burn with physical activity, the faster and more efficient the weight-loss process will be.
- The more you do with your body, the better you will feel about it.
- You do not have to become an athlete to be healthy. You are already performing a number of activities that can be modified to help you burn even more calories, and lose even more inches.
Exercise tips for non-athletes
- If you are not used to exercising regularly, it is okay to begin a workout routine slowly. Perform stretching and strengthening exercises to get you started, and work up to a more strenuous workout.
- Regular, brisk walking is an excellent substitute for jogging or aerobics (if you are physically unable to perform more strenuous activity at first).
- Include as many alternative exercise activities as you can in your daily routine.
- Remember that just because you are not at the gym, doesnt mean you are not still burning calories through daily activities.
Alternative exercise activities
- Take a walk in and around your neighborhood.
- Join a walking group and participate each week.
- Park further away from the establishment that you are going to.
- Walk around the mall several times.
- Walk to close by places where you have previously driven to.
- Go up and down the stairs several extra times throughout the day.
- Vacuuming and mopping counts as great exercise and gets items off your to-do list!
- Gardening and working in the yard.
- Ride your bike or go for a hike.
Exercise and your health
- Regular exercise:
- helps reduce high blood pressure
- helps control cholesterol levels
- helps to reduce high lipid levels in the blood
- helps control diabetes and blood sugar levels
- strengthens the heart
- aids in smoking cessation
- Regular weight-bearing exercise helps to decrease your risk of developing osteoporosis
- Exercise allows for more regular and deeper sleep patterns
- Regular exercise helps keep your digestive system regular and prevents constipation.
- Exercise helps with decreasing the effects of arthritis, and can allow for increased mobility.
What exercise can do for you
- Exercise burns calories
- Exercise increases muscle mass
- Moderate exercise decreases appetite
- Exercise increases the hormones serotonin and other endorphins that help to reduce stress and depression, which are common results of overeating and weight gain.
- Aerobic exercise improves overall cardiovascular health, lowers blood pressure, and increases overall body strength while burning a good amount of calories, depending on the activity.
- Strength training, a type of anaerobic exercise, has been shown to protect bone health, protect against disease, increase body strength, boost energy, improve mood, and lead to overall greater calorie burn.
- Research suggests that a combination of aerobic and anaerobic exercise is the best way for a person to both lose body fat and build up muscles. Together, the two types of exercise improve different aspects of body functioning and health.
- Select activities that:
- Are moderate in intensity
- You can keep up with for long periods of time
- Use large muscle groups
- Good examples of aerobic exercise included:
- Machines such as the elliptical trainer and treadmill
Incorporate exercise in your daily routine
If you do not belong to a gym or do not have enough time in the mornings to work out, a great way to burn some extra calories or maintain a healthy weight is to take a brisk walk after dinner.
Take a 30-40 minute walk around the block. Use a pedometer to count your steps and challenge yourself to increase the amount of steps you take every other day. When the weather is nice, take your workout outside and head to the park or beach for a more unconventional exercise routine.
The F.I.T.T. Principle
F = Frequency:
Frequency is the number of times a targeted physical activity is performed per a specific period such as a week. A safe frequency is three to five times per week.
I = Intensity:
Intensity is how hard you exercise during a physical activity period. Heart rate is one method to measuring the intensity of a physical activity or exercise.
T = Time:
Time is the duration of a physical activity. Effective time varies depending on the targeted physical activity targeted. Stretching, for example, is measured in seconds while an a continuous activities, such as aerobic, are measured in minutes.
T = Type:
Type is the specific physical activity being performed. Examples of types include stretching, weight lifting, jogging, running, swimming, etc.[/et_pb_text][et_pb_button button_url=”/free-consultation/” button_text=”FREE Consultation” button_alignment=”center” admin_label=”FREE Consultation (CENTER) Button” _builder_version=”3.23.3″ custom_button=”on” button_text_color=”#ffffff” button_bg_color=”#89bc40″ button_border_width=”0″ button_border_color=”#ffffff” button_font=”Open Sans||||” button_icon=”%%32%%” button_icon_color=”#ffffff” custom_margin=”-1px||” custom_padding=”20px||” global_module=”4359″ saved_tabs=”all” button_text_size__hover_enabled=”off” button_text_size__hover=”null” button_one_text_size__hover_enabled=”off” button_one_text_size__hover=”null” button_two_text_size__hover_enabled=”off” button_two_text_size__hover=”null” button_text_color__hover_enabled=”on” button_text_color__hover=”#ffffff” button_one_text_color__hover_enabled=”off” button_one_text_color__hover=”null” button_two_text_color__hover_enabled=”off” button_two_text_color__hover=”null” button_border_width__hover_enabled=”off” button_border_width__hover=”null” button_one_border_width__hover_enabled=”off” button_one_border_width__hover=”null” button_two_border_width__hover_enabled=”off” button_two_border_width__hover=”null” button_border_color__hover_enabled=”on” button_border_color__hover=”#7e287e” button_one_border_color__hover_enabled=”off” button_one_border_color__hover=”null” button_two_border_color__hover_enabled=”off” button_two_border_color__hover=”null” button_border_radius__hover_enabled=”on” button_border_radius__hover=”0″ button_one_border_radius__hover_enabled=”off” button_one_border_radius__hover=”null” button_two_border_radius__hover_enabled=”off” button_two_border_radius__hover=”null” button_letter_spacing__hover_enabled=”on” button_letter_spacing__hover=”0″ button_one_letter_spacing__hover_enabled=”off” button_one_letter_spacing__hover=”null” button_two_letter_spacing__hover_enabled=”off” button_two_letter_spacing__hover=”null” button_bg_color__hover_enabled=”on” button_bg_color__hover=”#7e287e” button_one_bg_color__hover_enabled=”off” button_one_bg_color__hover=”null” button_two_bg_color__hover_enabled=”off” button_two_bg_color__hover=”null”][/et_pb_button][et_pb_signup mailchimp_list=”7985f44682″ title=”Join Our Mailing List” description=”
Receive Special Offers, Updates, and Event Announcements
” admin_label=”Email Optin” _builder_version=”3.23″ form_field_background_color=”#d9d9d9″ form_field_text_color=”#ffffff” header_font=”Open Sans|on||on|” header_text_color=”#7e287e” body_font=”Open Sans||||” body_text_color=”#7e287e” background_color=”#edeced” border_width_all=”1px” border_color_all=”#7e287e” border_style_all=”solid” use_focus_border_color=”on” border_width_all_fields_focus=”1px” border_color_all_fields_focus=”#7e287e” border_style_all_fields_focus=”solid” custom_button=”on” button_text_color=”#ffffff” button_bg_color=”#7e287e” button_border_color=”#7e287e” button_font=”Open Sans||||” button_use_icon=”default” button_icon_color=”#ffffff” background_layout=”light” custom_margin=”15px|15px|15px|15px” use_border_color=”on” border_color=”#7e287e” border_style=”solid” button_text_color_hover=”#ffffff” button_border_color_hover=”#7e287e” button_border_radius_hover=”0″ button_letter_spacing_hover=”0″ button_bg_color_hover=”#7e287e” focus_border_color=”#7e287e” saved_tabs=”all” button_text_size__hover_enabled=”off” button_one_text_size__hover_enabled=”off” button_two_text_size__hover_enabled=”off” button_text_color__hover_enabled=”on” button_text_color__hover=”#ffffff” button_one_text_color__hover_enabled=”off” button_two_text_color__hover_enabled=”off” button_border_width__hover_enabled=”off” button_one_border_width__hover_enabled=”off” button_two_border_width__hover_enabled=”off” button_border_color__hover_enabled=”on” button_border_color__hover=”#7e287e” button_one_border_color__hover_enabled=”off” button_two_border_color__hover_enabled=”off” button_border_radius__hover_enabled=”on” button_border_radius__hover=”0″ button_one_border_radius__hover_enabled=”off” button_two_border_radius__hover_enabled=”off” button_letter_spacing__hover_enabled=”on” button_letter_spacing__hover=”0″ button_one_letter_spacing__hover_enabled=”off” button_two_letter_spacing__hover_enabled=”off” button_bg_color__hover_enabled=”on” button_bg_color__hover=”#7e287e” button_one_bg_color__hover_enabled=”off” button_two_bg_color__hover_enabled=”off”]
Receive Special Offers, Updates, and Event Announcements