One of the most important things in weight-loss is making time to plan ahead. Take the time the night before to cut up veggies and fruits, or pre-portion nuts or crackers for easy snacking.
Pack your lunch:
It is cost effective and can be healthier to make your lunch at home and take it to work or on the go. By making your own lunch, you are able to control what you make, what ingredients are used and how much you are using, especially with salad dressings and spreads.
Easy Packed Lunches
- Prepare your salad with veggies, fruits and nuts. If you are using chicken, pack it and the dressing separately.
- Salads are filling and give you proper nutrients that your body needs.
- Be sure to use dark, leafy greens more so than lighter lettuces, because they pack more of a nutritional punch!
- These are good because they are versatile. You can put as much or as little as you want on your sandwich.
- Use lean meats such as chicken or turkey and avoid more processed or fatty meats like ham, bologna or salami.Salads are filling and give you proper nutrients that your body needs.
- Veggies are always a great addition to a sandwich because they add an extra crunch and spice it up!
Bread is a key ingredient, so use whole wheat/grain bread, or try some sandwich flats or wheat wraps.
What About Water
The most essential nutrient the body requires to function is water. Lean body mass (muscle) consists mostly of water to exist. Adults can survive approximately 10 days without water and can survive weeks without food. The most common cause of muscle cramps is dehydration. If you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated. If you feel hungry, you are dehydrated. The body needs a minimum of at least 8 (8 oz) glasses of water daily for normal function, because our bodies and brains are made up of 95% water. Our bodies cannot store waterthat is why it is important to get daily intakes.
Functions of Water:
- Transports waste and anti-bodies
- Circulates fluid throughout the body
- Aids in efficient digestion
- Transports hormones
- Maintains muscle tone
- Balances electrolyte levels
- Relieves constipation and helps with movement of bowels
- Lubricates joints
- Assists in food intake
- Reduces fluid retention
- Regulates blood pressure
Drinking Enough Water is Essential
Drinking enough water is essential to weight-loss because of its ability to suppress the appetite naturally and to help metabolize stored body fat. Water is the key part to any weight-loss program. It is very necessary for helping the body remove fat, and for general health. Water does help in appetite suppression; naturally. The way it does this, is that it assists the body in metabolizing stored fat, because your liver is overloaded when your kidneys do not get enough water. Your liver metabolizes fat, and it cannot do that one-hundred percent if it is also doing the kidneys job. It also reduces fat deposits in the body and relieves fluid retention problems as well.
Fats Can Be Heart-Healthy
The Benefits of Omega-3
- Many types of fish, including salmon and tilapia, contain long-chain polyunsaturated fats and Omega-3 fatty acids, which have been proven to have heart-healthy benefits.
- Omega-3 fatty acids are important to consume in our diet on a regular basis because our bodies do not naturally make Omega-3s.
- These good fats not only raise HDL levels (high density lipids; the good cholesterol), but also boost brain function and eye power.
The New OK Foods
Explore foods such as avocados, walnuts and almonds, which can add a lot of heart-healthy fats as well as add flavor to many recipes. (i.e. salad, pasta, chicken and fish)
Cook With Olive Oil
A small amount of olive oil should be the first choice in cooking. It adds great flavor without tons of saturated fat.
Explore The Green Fruits
Instead of dry sandwiches, make it interesting by adding sliced avocado to add moisture, flavor and heart-healthy fats.