Our skin is a complex organ that serves as the first layer of protection against any potential harm. What keeps it youthful, firm, and toned is collagen. Collagen is found in the middle layer of skin, as well as in our bones. It provides structure and support to the extent that it makes up most of the skin. This protein protects us from wrinkles and fine lines. As we get older, however, collagen’s ability to keep us looking youthful diminishes. Why?
- Production slows with age
- Sun damage reduces its efficacy
- Oxidative stress from exposure to pollution and UV radiation
Fortunately, these factors don’t mean the end of your youthful appearance. Different procedures help slow down the degeneration of collagen and the formation of fine lines and wrinkles. Below are some basic facts about two different procedures that address the issue of skin aging and damage.
Also known as skin needling
- Minimally-invasive and non-surgical
- Uses a pen-shaped medical device with tiny needles to penetrate the skin at very high speeds
- Rebuilds elasticity
- Stimulates skin cell production
- Results in the formation of new tissue layers of collagen and elastin
- Non-invasive light treatment
- Little or no recovery time
- Uses laser to tighten your skin simply and effectively
- Revitalizes your appearance
Both microneedling and laser skin tightening are safe and effective procedures to treat signs of aging that result from decreased collagen production. If you’re interested in learning more about how to maintain a youthful appearance and collagen production, talk to our aesthetician at Florida Aesthetics today!